A student plunged to his death off a balcony after eating a pot-laced cookie in Colorado. The cookie was reportedly purchased at one of Colorado’s legal marijuana dispensaries.
While the 19-year-old Wyoming teen wasn’t old enough under Colorado law to purchase marijuana products, he was vacationing with a friend who was, according to USA Today on April 2. Levi Thamba Pongi’s autopsy showed that marijuana intoxication was a “significant contributing factor,” to his death.
Pongi is a native of the Republic of Congo, who was in Colorado on spring break with friends. He attended a college in Wyoming studying engineering. Friends who were with Pongi at the time he ate the cookie laced with pot said that he started acting “hostile.” The teen began pulling things off the wall and his speech became erratic.
A friend who also had a cookie started to eat the marijuana product but started to feel sick and stopped. Pongi’s friends said that they were able to calm him down, but he went out on the balcony and jumped over the balcony railing.
Authorities had the medical examiner test Pongi for 250 drugs that are known to cause erratic behavior, including bath salts. The test came back that it was only THC, the drug in marijuana, that was found in his blood test.
Pongi had 7.2 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of blood in his system. Colorado law allows police to arrest someone for driving with more than 5 nanograms per milliliter in their system.
The investigation is on-going today.